Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

'Casting Deepika in Happy New Year not my decision': Shah Rukh Khan

Shah Rukh Khan just reaffirmed his star power with Chennai Express (CE). Yet, in his next, Farah Khan’s Happy New Year, he will be part of an ensemble cast, a first of sorts for the actor. In an exclusive chat, he reveals his reason for doing the film, and how it wasn’t his decision to include Deepika Padukone in the film. 

Q) What made you agree to be part of a massive ensemble cast ?

I’ve never done an ensemble like this. (But) Sometimes you like the story more than what (character) you are playing … and we have a great cast in Abhishek (Bachchan), Vivaan (Shah), Sonu (Sood), Boman (Irani) and Jackie Shroff.

A lot was written about Deepika Padukone’s last-minute inclusion in the film, and your role in the decision .
I don’t know how many years it will take to convince people that I don’t cast for my films. I am a producer and an actor. It was the director Farah’s call. She introduced Deepika to the Indian film industry, and she would be the one to decide to cast her in Happy New Year (HNY). We had date issues and stuff, but the choice was completely Farah’s.

However, Farah did say that the choice (of the leading lady) was yours.

Like I said, there were issues with dates, and Farah met other actors and shortlisted three people. I felt if we could have Deepika, it’d be
great.

1 comment: